Thursday, 10 August 2017

Guardians of the Steps

An oil painting of two labradors sitting on the front steps in dappled sunlight
This painting of two labradors sitting on the steps in dappled sunlight took 4 attempts to get right, the first 3 were wipers. I was almost ready to give up. Decided on one last attempt because I really did like the dogs.
The reason for the decision was a clue.
I had been blocking in the whole piece. On the 4th attempt, I painted the dogs only to completion, wiping the board as clean as possible, sketching in a few lines to get the positioning right and laying out a small palette of colours for the dogs only. 
On the left of the palette I laid out shadow colours: raw umber, french ochre, black and white. On the right, I laid out the sunlit colours: transparent oxide red, yellow ochre deep, cadmium yellow lemon and white. I used two brushes, one for shadow and one for the light. 
This approach did the trick - I finished up with two labs floating near the upper quartile of the canvas, but they were just as they should be. Then I put in the background around them with a fresh palette of colour, but again, divided in half: the shadow colours and the light colours.
These were: raw umber, purple lake and ultramarine - shadow; yellow ochre deep, naples yellow, lemon yellow and white - sunlight. For the bushes, I added cadmium green light for the sunlit areas.
Two brushes: one for shadow, one for light.
Hope you like the result.

No comments:

Post a Comment