Saturday, 12 August 2017

The first time I saw the Queen

an oil painting of a frame of honey bees with the Queen visible
For a long time after the bees first arrived in our garden, I thought I should never see a Queen at all. 
Unlike in a photograph or a painting, the little blighters won't keep still, you see. The constant movement and farkling about is bewildering to a novice beekeeper. 
But once I had spotted her for the first time, it was so obvious which one was the Queen, I was puzzled how I could not have seen her. There is a well-known old saying about learning to paint: that what you are really learning is how to see. This is very true and it applies also to beekeeping, I think.
I have had difficulty photographing this piece. I wanted you, the viewer, to be able to see the Queen too. So I placed her slightly off centre - just down and to the left a fraction - and positioned a few bees so they were pointing at her. Then, to be on the safe side, I gilded her with gold leaf after the paint was dry. So she shimmers most beautifully.
If the sun shines on her she shimmers like this in real life, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment